Called after the Barberini family, Piazza Barberini is especially renowned for its centerpiece, the Fontana del Tritone, designed by Bernini. A few meters from the plaza is the Palazzo Barberini, a marvelous Baroque palace that houses the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Antica. The Piazza Barberini, built-in 1625 on the rules of Cardinal Francesco Barberini, is placed at the end of Via Venetto. It is especially impressive due to the two fonts built by Bernini.
The Fountains of Piazza Barberini
In the heart of the square holds the Fontana del Tritone. Four dolphins hold up Triton, the sea god, as he makes a spray of water shoot forth from a seashell. The font, made of travertine, is one of Bernini’s most well-known ones. Hidden in one of the square corners is the Bees’ Fountain, which is one of Bernini’s more modest works. Built-in 1644 in honor of Pope Urban VIII, the fountain is decorated with large bees, the Barberini family’s emblem.